Monday 3 October 2011

Student Day!!!!

For all those wondering, Student Day lands on the first day of Spring and it's a day where all the Students get a day off school. A couple of people from my class invited me out to the beach because apparently that's what everyone does if the weather is good.  I thought it would be like everyone going to Gyro beach after school.... and it was. Except there was an extra 1000 people there all between the ages of 15 and 18.

So my day consisted off walking on the beach, getting ice cream (I scream, you cream, we all scream for ice scream! - Never ever teach that song to anyone named Benve), drinking mate, playing with puppies, eating touros (type of food - whose name I probably spelt wrong), and just hanging out and talking. 

Needless to say, it was a fun day!



See all those people? Yah? They're all under 20...
.... it was crazy

Hello, Atlantic Ocean

Here's a picture for you dad! There are quite a few sailboats
sailing around Mar Del Plata. My friends tell me there will be a 
lot more in the summer. It was also funny to here Mar go 
"Oh no! They're going to tip over!"
When the sailboats mast got to be a couple feet away from hitting the water.

If you look to the right of the picture you'll see a flat spot full
of people. It was packed like that all afternoon. Not to mention the
huge beach. This beach is apparently the one all the 
young people hangout at.

Benve, me, Marti and Mar

Martu, me, Marti, and Mar


The girls drinking Mate. Seriously, people bring and drink
mate everywhere: at home, on the street, on the beach, at school, 
in the car, everywhere. If you can think of a place in Argentina,
I guaranty they drink mate there.
(By the way, that weird looking cup that Marti is holding is what
they drink mate out of and the thing pointing out of the cup is 
a mettle straw which you drink from)

Benve's golden retriever puppy!!!!

Touros (A delicious Argentinean dessert/food - its like a 
sugar coated, deep fried pastry with Dulce de Leche or chocolate inside)
And yes... there is a straw coming out of my coke bottle. 
Apparently that's how they do it here. Seems kind of like a waste of plastic
to me but who am I to judge! 
When in Rome, do as the Romans do



One thing I forgot to add! My friend was giving me advice on what to wear to go to the beach. She told me to bring pants and a sweater because it would be cold and not to bother bringing my bathing suit. I swear for the first couple of hours we were out I was dying. It had to be at least 26 degrees out and all the Argentineans were all wearing sweaters and I was dying from heat! I swear if I had brought my bathing suit I would have done the polar bear dip into the ocean to get some relief from the hot weather. When I told my friends, they all looked at me like I was crazy and then firmly told me I was crazy. I've never felt so Canadian in my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment