Thursday 2 February 2012

Day 3 of the South Trip

Today we got up bright and early and had a normal Argentinean breakfast including a variety of pastries (croissants, toast, scones, cookies, ect), coffee and juice. Afterwards, we were left on our own for 2 hours in which time we had to find something to take on the bus with us to eat for lunch. We would be driving for most of the day. What the other exchange students and I found interesting with this is that back in most of our countries, the exchange students are very looked after and sheltered. Here, they expect you to be independent and work out a lot of stuff out for yourself. And so that’s what we did. Four other exchange students and I wondered around asking people if they knew if there was a grocery store close by until a very nice guy gave us directions to one.
            I guy names Andrew from the U.S. (who I already knew before the trip because he lives in my city) split groceries together. On our way out, the security guard asked us where we were from. I guess it’s not surprising that he found out that we were foreigners because there was 30 odd exchange students in the store all speaking in very strange spanish accents. Or it might have been the fact that Andrew is a VERY tall guy with blue eyes and blond hair… Either way, when we started listing off the places we were from, the look on his face grew more and more shocked with every country we listed. It kind of made my day haha!
            We then spent most of the day driving until finally, we got to the penguin sanctuary! I have keeping a bucket list since I was 12 and one of the things on it was to see a penguin! And I did! Hundreds of them! As well and wild llamas… who just so happened to be hanging out with the penguins! It was so cool!

The llamas hanging out with the penguins






Me all of a foot away from a penguin

All of those black dots? Yup, they're penguins

The Mar Del Plata exchange students 

No comments:

Post a Comment