Wednesday 7 March 2012

Day 2

Arrived at el Palmar nice and early. At 10 in the morning it was already a nice 39 degrees with abou 90% humidity. I WAS DYING. I have never felt so hot and I found myself wishing I could bury myself in a snow bank and live there for the rest of my life.

We spent the early afternoon hanging around the pool and getting to know eachother. Before lunch we had a little excitement trying to get a giant toad out of the shower. After lunch, we had a treasure/riddle hunt.

In the late afternoon, our group split into two. Half got to relax by the pool and do relay races. While the other half (my group), got to go see a Palm tree forest where all the trees are between 400 and 1000 years old. We also got taught how to find baby palm trees that were sprouting up as well as tried the palm tree fruit.

Afterwards, we went trekking through the woods to a river where we went canoeing. The misquitos were so bad that even with a 5 centimeter thick layer of OFF they still were biting you! There were so many that everyone was laughing as they kept hitting themselves and the people around them. I have never been so happy to have been hit in the face. Three times. Haha

After we got back, I started to feel sick (either food poisoning or heat sickness). So unfortunately I ended up throwing up before dinner. But, I pulled it together, attended dinner, then went to the bonfire after dinner where we sang songs.

Halfway through song singing I sat down because I was starting to feel sick again. One of the camp leaders who was known for asking if people had a boyfriend and if the answer was no, he would try to set them up, asked me if I wasn’t feeling well. When I said no, I wasn’t, he then announced to everyone “Don’t worry everyone. She is just missing her boyfriend.” Thaaannnks for that camp leader. I then proceeded to get teased for the rest of the night.

After the bonfire, we laid out on the grass and looked at the stars. We were far from the city so there was no light polution. I found Orions belt and we even saw the milky wave.

After star watching, we all went to bed and I got about 2 hours of sleep before I spent the rest of the night being sick. Uck.


Treasure Hunt
"La Aurora"

Tractor ride to the Palm tree forest

Turtle we saw along the way

Palm tree forest



Baby Palm trees 
(looks very similar to grass except for the 
three yellow stripes running down the length of it)



Palm Tree fruit. Actually doesn't taste all that bad


Beautiful field with sheep grazing

Walking through the forest to get to the river



The all around favorite perfume of the North Trip

My first two bites of the day. By the end of the day
I would have around 15 bites on my back and 
about 30 bites total

This unlucky soul would have about 70 bites by 
the end of the day




Most beautiful sunset I saw on the trip

Bonfire that night (even though it was still 20 degrees out!)


No comments:

Post a Comment